loren Eric Swanson: Memorial Day

Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial Day




Today we honor Liz's father, Capt. Malcom R. Stanford who received the Bronze Star for Bravery fighting in the Philippines with the 187th Infantry Regiment "Rakkasan" as the commander of "G" Company in Phillipines(Luzon). . We also honor my living dad, Signalman 1st Class with the USN during WWII in the South Pacific and my son, Jeff who fought in our present war in Iraq. Jeff and Ashlie ran the Bolder Boulder road race today (along w/ 50,000 others) and ended up in the CU Stadium. I was proud to stand shoulder to shoulder with Jeff as together we saluted the colors (I was in the US Army Reserves) as our National Anthem was sung.

3 Comments:

At Thursday, May 29, 2008 10:27:00 AM, Anonymous muriel wilcox said...

Eric,
I thought you'd like to know that I found my dad's name Ralph C. Morse Jr. and his citation for the Navy Cross from the Marines on line. I know you're really good at researching things on line so you can find Liz's dad and you can also reorder a Bronze Star for him since her brother lost it. It looks pretty easy. Hope this helps. Muriel

 
At Wednesday, August 12, 2009 6:02:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eric,

I read your blog as a result of a search I have been doing on Malcolm R. Stanford. My name is Richard Stanford from PA. I am an officer in the army. I had spend my last 4 1/2 years (2 X Iraq tours) with 187th Infantry Regi
ent of 101st ABN at Fort Campbell, KY. There is a picture of HHC, 1-187 Infantry Regiment hanging on a wall at Fort Campbell from 1944 with a name plate that says it was donated by CPT(Ret) Malcom R. Stanford. In the 187th INfantry Regiment "Rakkasan" Official History book it mentions he also commanded G CO. in Phillipines(Luzon). I am big into family history and have been trying to track down information about him and to find out how I may be related. I came up with a lot of dead ends until this blog. I have a picture of this 1944 company photo with me standing beside it. There is also a Japanese suicide sash with the photo. What can you tell me about him? Where he was from and what became of him? Thank you for your help.

Thank You
RAKKASANS!!!!!!!

 
At Wednesday, August 12, 2009 9:38:00 PM, Blogger Eric Swanson said...

cpt Stanford,
Yes that was my wife's (Elizabeth Stanford)father that donated the flag at a reunion shortly before he passed away in December of 1998. Please copy what you posted and send it to eric@tangogroup.com. Dick (Malcom)wrote quite a bit about his military history and Liz's sister Diane is as close to an expert that we have on her side of the family tree. hope to hear from you soon

 

Post a Comment

<< Home