loren Eric Swanson: Easter Dinner

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Easter Dinner






















We celebrated the Ressurection Day with Church, followed by an Easter egg hunt and lunch with my grandson, Gentry culminating w/ an Easter dinner at our place. Our guests were starved--gobbling up a turkey, a ham, two roasts, ten pound of scalloped potatoes and bacon, huge salads and a bevy of desserts. This is actually quite easy for Liz and me. We usually provide the meats (and this time prepared the scalloped potatoes) and just ask the guests to bring something. It always works out great.







One of our guests, Rick Murphy (you might remember him from my "going to jail" blog entry), shared after dinner and before dessert the power of the resurrection in one of the prisoners he ministers to as part of his job as a jail chaplain. "Jonathan" was arrested for murder, placed in jail during his trial, came to faith in Christ last summer and to his attorney's dismay, "told the whole truth" about what he had done. "As a Christian I must look myself in the mirror every day for the rest of my life and I've just got to tell the truth, even if I must spend the rest of my life in prison." His state-appointed attorneys wept. One said, "How I envy you. You are free to tell the truth." Jonathan did get life without paroll but told Rick how excited he was to be God's ambassador in prison--"...and all my support is raised."

6 Comments:

At Tuesday, March 25, 2008 9:15:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's easy for you and Liz "gobbling up a turkey, a ham, two roasts, ten pound of scalloped potatoes and bacon, huge salads and a bevy of desserts" or making them?

 
At Wednesday, March 26, 2008 9:03:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eric,
Will see you at the conference in May. Since you were here in Memphis a couple years ago lots of new initiatives. We launched our adopt-a-public school model with 300 active volunteers, majority of kids below poverty level, and on lunch subsidy program. 48% first gen Hispanic, 23% African American, about the same percent white and balance other. The tutors and mentors have taken a school in couple years into the 90th% levels on their state verbal and math proficiency tests. A shocker to the observing world particularly when many of the kids are learning English as a second language. Now have a community development director in property across the street from school teaching 1st Gen Hispanic parents ESL, and moving toward forming a church; having to turn them away until we can expand our space. The outreach opportunities abound, and now teaching other local churches how to do the same. Will see you soon, hope we can greet each other. Keep that inspiration flowing
Scott Hanson, 2nd Pres.

 
At Wednesday, March 26, 2008 10:13:00 PM, Blogger Andy McCullough said...

You forgot to say that Jonathan has a captive audience for his gospel message.

 
At Thursday, March 27, 2008 1:57:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Eric!

I found your blog while looking up some people I remembered from Cal. Food certainly does seem to play a prominent role in your activities. My doctor would not approve.

I'm glad that you seem to have found fulfillment in your life. Why did you move to a place where it snows? I was cured of that a long time ago.

All the best to you.

John "Rugby" Hudson

 
At Thursday, March 27, 2008 9:29:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

John,
Good to hear from you! I'd love to catch up. Send me your email would you to eric@tangogroup.com
Eric

 
At Tuesday, July 26, 2011 8:09:00 PM, Anonymous travel expenses said...

Wow The Dishes And Food Looks So Delicious,I Miss The Yummy Food.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home