loren Eric Swanson: Fellow-worker = Synergy

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Fellow-worker = Synergy

I wish I could remember my source for this but did check it out for myself using some Greek tools on the Web. Some of you might recall that my Greek is limited to agape and baklava, which equips me for talking about my unconditional love for Greek pastry...but little else. However, check this out....the word translated 13 times in the NT for "fellow worker" is the Greek word, "synergos," from which we get our word synergy. Now, to me, that is a big idea! I think of synergy as the force where we play off of and maximize all the strengths that are in the room. I often say that the best learning environment is one where the least qualified person, with the least tenure can make the greatest contribution because their ideas and contribution are weighed against the mission. None of us, as individuals, can ever be as smart as all of us...and that is why "fellow workers" are so important in our missional undertakings! When synergy occurs 1+1=3. When we work with fellow-workers we not only become workers but better people.

Romans 16:3 Greet Prisca and Aquila, my fellow workers in Christ Jesus
Romans 16:9 Greet Urbanus, our fellow worker in Christ, and Stachys my beloved.
Romans 16:21T imothy my fellow worker greets you, and so do Lucius and Jason and Sosipater, my kinsmen.
1 Corinthians 3:9 For we are God's fellow workers; you are God's field, God's building.
2 Corinthians 8:23 As for Titus, he is my partner and fellow worker among you; as for our brethren, they are messengers of the churches, a glory to Christ.
Philippians 2:25 But I thought it necessary to send to you Epaphroditus, my brother and fellow worker and fellow soldier, who is also your messenger and minister to my need;
Philippians 4:3Indeed, true companion, I ask you also to help these women who have shared my struggle in the cause of the gospel, together with Clement also and the rest of my fellow workers, whose names are in the book of life.
Colossians 4:11a nd also Jesus who is called Justus; these are the only fellow workers for the kingdom of God who are from the circumcision, and they have proved to be an encouragement to me.
1 Thessalonians 3:2 and we sent Timothy, our brother and God's fellow worker in the gospel of Christ, to strengthen and encourage you as to your faith,
Philemon 1:1[ Salutation ] Paul, a prisoner of Christ Jesus, and Timothy our brother, To Philemon our beloved brother and fellow worker,P
hilemon 1:24as do Mark, Aristarchus, Demas, Luke, my fellow workers.
3 John 1:8Therefore we ought to support such men, so that we may be fellow workers with the truth

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home