loren Eric Swanson: Robert McKee's Story Seminar

Thursday, December 06, 2007

Robert McKee's Story Seminar

A few months ago I read a very influential book called Story, by screenwriter Robert McKee. I entered my notes on my August 28th. Really good stuff. This weekend, Friday through Sunday, Sam Williams and I will be attending McKee's Seminar. On the plane flying out here I watched Spike Jonze's "Adaptation"--a movie about screen writing that actually features a scene depicting McKee's seminar. Here's what we have to look forward to tomorrow.



DAY 1
The writer and the art of story
The decline of story in contemporary film, television, theatre and literature
Story design: the meaning of story, the substance of story, the limitations and inspirations of story structure & genre, the debate between character vs story design.
Premise Idea, Counter Idea, Controlling Idea
Story Structure: beat, scene, sequence, act, story
Mapping the Story universe: Archplot, Miniplot, Antiplot
Shaping the source of story energy and creation

1 Comments:

At Thursday, December 13, 2007 6:03:00 PM, Blogger DJ Chuang said...

Loved that movie Adaptation, I'm a big fan of Nicolas Cage. So jealous of you, that you got to experience the real McKee in person! BTW, director's name is Spike Jonze (not Spike "mo better" Lee)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home