loren Eric Swanson: Great Evening

Friday, September 21, 2007

Great Evening



The weather in Colorado was beautiful tonight. I met Liz, son and family, Jeff, Ashlie and Gentry, along with good buddy George at Pasta Jays to celebrate Ashlie's 24th Birthday. While waiting for a table, I struck up with Arlo Stott--WWII Marine Corp veteran who pointed to his ring and said, "I saw them raise the flag." And then in answer to my probing retold the battle of Iwo Jima and taking Surabachi. Found out some amazing things. Of the 21,000 Japanese soldiers only 8 survived to surrender. A marine was killed or wouned every 45 seconds of the first two days of the battle. Jeff, who served a year as a gunner in Iraq also had the chance to talk with him. I think I read that 1200 WW II vets are dying every day so this was quite an experience.

Afterwards we walked down the mall to see the CU football team and band parade down the Pearl Street Mall--just a great, warm evening.

2 Comments:

At Monday, September 24, 2007 10:32:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please pass my message along to jeff!....

Jeff my main man! Its me Stephen Carr! I can't believe i found this blog? So how are you? please email me back or contact me if you have time. Hope all is well & God Bless!

 
At Tuesday, October 06, 2009 11:08:00 AM, Blogger Wesley SeAnne said...

Arlo Stott is my grandfather. It was amazing to google him and find this. "Thank you" for appreciating, as a stranger, what we do as a family. Made my day. ; ) -Wesley Revere Las Vegas, NV

 

Post a Comment

<< Home